Variance Request

A variance is a change to the billing factors used to calculate your bill. Examples of a variance are changes to the number of people in your household, a change in your business license, or increased medical needs. Find out more below.

What’s a Variance?

Variance Request: A request to change water budget billing factors (e.g. number of people living in the home, landscape area) from the standard amount MNWD has assigned to your home type.

To request a variance, see below.

To read more about Variances:

Variance Adjustment & Allocation Policy
Water Shortage Contingency Plan

Doesn’t sound like what you’re looking for? To read about Bill Adjustments click here.


Variances to Allocation:
It is the sole responsibility of the customer to contact the District to request variances to their water budget factors through the Variance Form or by calling the District at (949) 831-2500. Changes will not be retroactive. An approved Variance will become effective on the next billing cycle. Increased allocations for additional occupants may be reviewed annually. The District reserves the right to request proof of residency in the home.

Examples of reasons to file a Variance:

  • Change to the Number of People Living in a Home*
  • Increase in Landscape Area
  • Licensed Child Care or Adult Care Facility
  • Medical Needs
  • Livestock Needs (weighing over 100 pounds each)

* The District has proposed changes to more accurately capture cost increases from the South Orange County Wastewater Authority through changes to the wastewater rate structure. To learn more about the individual impacts to you, visit


Click HERE to Request a Residential Variance
Click HERE to Request a Commercial Variance